We, members of the STUD, z.s. association, first got the idea to organize a LGBT ball in 2012. A group of volunteers and friends is helping us with the preparation of the ball. In 2013 we organized the first and successful ball in the "Black and White" style and we continued in our work in 2014 with an even more successful second ball in the "Heaven and Hell" style. In 2015 Queer Ball with "The Past and the Future" theme took place and it ended the first three years which were characterized by a contrast of two motives.
Queer Ball was dominated by the elements in 2016, the ball was subtitled "Four Elements". The theme of Queer Ball in 2017 was the stars of the silver screen - in Brno and for the first time in Prague the Queer Ball took place with the title "On the Silver Screen". The sixth Queer Ball in Brno and the second in Prague were subtitled "Colors of Life". The theme of Queer Ball in 2019 was "Behind the Mask".
For 2020, the organizing team prepared the theme of the ball, which resonated with the efforts of the LGBT+ community to enforce the law on marriage equality in the Parliament of the Czech Republic. The theme of the balls was "Forever Together". Unfortunately, due to a government order in connection with the Covid-19 disease, the Prague ball did not take place. The following 2 years could not be held due to various restrictions and bans.
In 2022, due to restrictions on the holding of social events, we plan to hold balls in Brno and Prague in September. The theme of both balls will be "Once Upon a Time". Visitors can look forward to a ball full of fairy tales and mythical creatures.
Event organizer – STUD, z.s. association
- STUD, z.s. is an association of gays, lesbians and their friends. We are an independent non-profit organization which operates for the benefit of gays and lesbians, develops and cultivates the LGBT community, seeks full equality and has been trying to overcome the prejudices in the society since 1996.
- We are a nation-wide Czech civic association based in Brno. We are a member of the Association of NGOs of South Moravia, the Czech Council of Children and Youth and platform PROUD.
STUD, z.s. | IČ: 643 30 346
recorded in the registry of the Regional Court in Brno, file n° L 5643
Cejl 537/89 | 602 00 Brno
tel.: 603 367 762
e-mail: email@example.com | www.stud.cz
bank account for donations: 272631906/0300
Our main projects
- GaTe – Since 2003 we have been organizing regular meetings, few days' experiential events, sports, cultural or social events for young gays during their coming-out period. We are involved in the development of public education and community life and organize debates at secondary schools.
- Queer library – Unique and first in the Czech Republic, it contains over 500 Czech or English books, dozens of professional works and hundreds of magazines about LGBT community.
- Queer Ball – An original, unconventional and informal ball for all gays, lesbians, queer people and their friends.
- Mezipatra Queer Film Festival – A festival of films with gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender themes that we held annually since 2000 in Prague and Brno. Since 2013 we have been participating in its preparation as one of the organizers. It is the biggest cultural event in the life of Czech gay and lesbian community.
- Queer Kód - a project with a goal to give space for social and cultural activites for people from LGBTQ+ community and people open to diversity.
- Speedymen Brno - a group of friendly boys and girls from Brno that enjoy training, swimming, running, biking, skiing or cross-country skiing together.